Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Flying Popes Week 2: The Promise

Last night the Flying Popes took to the hardwood once again in the early season. The roster is still coming together, as it is likely no other recreational volleyball team in Chicago has experienced this many early season injuries due to hyper extended day job responsibilities. The Popes pressed on.

Week 2 was a familiar match up against the Wasabi Shockers who apparently have a roster deeper than an average elementary school classroom. Games 1 & 2 were super close but both fell to Wasabi. Highlights from the match include Vinnie potentially earning his Flying Pope call sign as "Jazz Hands." Clearly we don't try to over intimidate.  I also had a season high, for on court pissiness. As a 31 year old man, I made it clear to my teammates that as expected, a man-child is in fact a shell of maturity. Perhaps, seeing that we're playing in a church gym, we could get a priest to attend so I can schedule post-game confession regularly.

It's easy to point fingers in a loss. Frankly, I wasn't wearing the appropriate shirt I normally play volleyball in so someone has to tell m'lady that although she got my sweatband through the laundry, the shirt is part of the uniform. Let's not make her feel bad though, she's an avid/obligated Flying Popes fan.

To my team, and Flying Pope Nation I give you this....

THE PROMISE
To the fans and everyone in Flying Popes Nation, I'm sorry. 
I'm extremely sorry. We were hoping for an undefeated season,
that was my goal, something
The Flying Popes have never done here.

I promise you one thing. A lot
of good will come out of this.
You will never see any player in
the entire rec league play as hard
as I will the rest of the 
season. You will never see
someone push the rest of the
team as hard as I will push 
everybody the rest of the season

You will never see a team 
play harder than we will 
the rest of the season.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment