Monday, September 05, 2005

Where's Your Heart? (caution a soapbox moment)

It takes a horrible thing like a natural disaster to come and show a person's true character. People cry, run, stay put when a three day notice has been given, whatever. That is not the character that troubles me. Something troubles me more than even the looters and their ignorance to put a 50" plasma tv in a canoe and paddle off. Nothing like an aquatic larcen to make matters worse. I personally think those dumb asses should have to plug in their wet stolen merchandise for a punishment.

I have noticed the press' coverage of the relief effort. It's moments like broadcasting how much a celebrity does that pisses me off the most. I remember good ol' Sandra Bullock strutting 1mil for 9/11. Hell I would pay her 1 mil to stop making movies and go with the rest of the Surreal Life Hopefuls and hide in the Hollywood Hills. Charity is something we as people do with understanding that we are to recieve nothing for it.

PR is something that Hollywood and other sport celebritiies need to back away from. I do appreciate their efforts at bringing a nation together. But there is a huge reason that we keep them as far away from impacting legislation as possible. They are and always will be 100 times more vain than actually genuine to a cause. All they want is to have their face above a lead in for the next People mag. These people have made a joke out of caring just as before it was a posh thing to have a gay friend- now we have little dogs because of Paris.

I don't give because the Gap told me to do so. When you give, take a look back at yourself. Are you gradually speaking louder so that others may hear that you're a goddamn saint? Look, take your Acura and 1% to the United Way tax write off and go back to the club. It sickens me to see how people that are suffering are tossed aid by people so casually like the little chunky girl selling Girl Scout Cookies outside the store.

Personally I think that donating money in this era is futile. I am not going down the conspiracy theory avenue. I just realize how much bullshit redtape there is with corporate america. Just like when Ms. Goody Gucci slowly digs for coins for the Salvation Army in December, CEOs and executives everywhere wait. So they can stand proud in front of the red light on network tv and scream with the utmost juvenile attitude

I AM A GIVING PERSON DAMNIT! LOOK HOW MUCH I CARE! I CARE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF TIMES OVER. LOOK HOW MUCH I CARE!!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE CAMERA CREW IS RUNNING LATE?!

My only remaining question is if there weren't disasters like this how would we justify our hearts? Don't wait until they need a clean up crew. If all you do is buy the rubber bands for whatever rainbow cause or put a magnet ribbon on your car you are only saying you realize a problem and would prefer someone else to do something. Save you're money and start smoking- at least that tax money goes to highway repair.

Spread the love, not just money.

No comments:

Post a Comment