Monday, January 31, 2005

Glory Days

Perhaps the most annoying thing for me this morning was one of the most painful moments in a parent's life. I don't know what it is about the school bus that simply bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I think children should walk everywhere too, that way we don't have to wonder why they get dad's hand-me-downs by age 9.

It is fun to watch them pile into the bus eager for education or to my recollection, chocolate milk. There should be some timer or cattle prod or declining aisle that gets them to plant their butts in the seats pronto. I don't think that kids have attention disorders that is all the blame of the parents who rather watch HBO than entertain the result of their entertaining eachother.

Something needs to be said about the distance between bus stops. It seems as though every block is a school bus stop. Here is another tragic truth. I see it a bit extreme for all cars in a two block radius to have to freeze and wait for these money pits to cross the street.

I remember that the cool kids always sit in the back of the bus. The barometer of social acceptance was directly proportional to the seating arrangement. Strangly enough, I was typically on the bump. There was a point in our history lesson of civil rights that I realized why the white culture will never be what the black culture is already. When I heard that the black people were forced to sit in the back of the bus I was shocked. Never before have I seen it a matter this black and white. Whites were just declaring how lame they were by wanting the seat closest to the driver.

Public transportation is good for two things. 1 Alleviating traffic. 2. Making one feel immensely more attractive than other people around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment